|High Street On the Green
Job Woodruff Saloon, 9 High Street
In 1816, Jason King sold drugs and groceries in the old Pemberton House, next door to the Court House. On July 8, 1820, Sarah Pemberton deeded .005 acre to Jason King, Jr. for $100, whereon he erected his brick front storehouse at 9 High Street. He and David King began business as Jason King & Co. in May 1822. Ezekiel Dennis and David King formed a business partnership in May 1825. This firm dissolved on January 1, 1827, with David King continuing at the old stand. On March 1, 1828, Jason King, Jr. announced his intention to move to Morristown and engage in the hotel business. David and Noah King continued trade at the old stand next door to the Court House. On May 23, 1829, Jason King, Jr. offered to sell: That three story frame and brick Store-house, situate 12 feet from the west end of the Court-House ... used for a store for a number of years past, is now fitted for that purpose... On April 1, 1829, David and Noah King dissolved their partnership with Noah King continuing the business. On May 21, 1832, Samuel Johnson announced the removal of his chair shop on southeast side of the Green to the store formerly occupied by J. & D. King, one door south of the Court House.
Job B. Woodruff first operated an oyster saloon in the winter of 1854. In December 1855, he purchased the property adjacent to the Court House from John Trusdell for $6,000. Job Woodruff enlarged the lot by purchasing an adjacent parcel from William Drake on March 7, 1859. In August 1859, Job B. Woodruff completed the building recently erected for saloon purposes on this lot, remodeling the old King Store House by raising the front gable in the Greek Revival style. He further announced in March 1860, that the building recently erected by him is now completed and furnished throughout. No expense spared. Job Woodruff opened his Ice Cream Saloon for the season on May 18, 1860.
Morris Hoppaugh purchased the stock and good will of Job Woodruff, next to the Court House, in January 1866. The saloon on High Street, formerly occupied by George T. Smith, Esq., was refitted and painted in December 1870, for occupancy by Mr. A. Daire, who sold ale, cigars and tobacco. He also provided lunch service. In October 1871, Mrs. R. Woodruff advertised her oyster saloon, selling oysters at the Old Stand One door above the Court House on High Street. Charles M. Woodruff purchased the building and office on High Street, together with his law library, Dawson Woodruff for $3,000 in November 1873.
On April 1, 1874, George E. Petit opened a fish market in the Woodruff building, but continued his milk delivery route. He departed for Newark in March 1875. On April 1, 1875, the Misses Wilsons, dealers in ladies fancy goods, occupied the store room vacated by Mrs. O. P. Woodford in the Woodruff building. Slater & Drake re-opened their Fur Store on October 15, 1877, one door above the Court House.
On April 10, 1878, William Stelle opened a new restaurant at this location, where he manufactured his own candy. In April 1879, Charles M. Woodruff moved his law office to the front room while Mr. Stelle continued his business in the rear rooms. In December 1883, Stelle was making ice cream and selling oysters at this address.
In December 1884, Henry M. Ward purchased the old Woodruff saloon. Mrs. Ward announced the opening of a dining room in December 1884. Henry M. Ward has refitted the premises in a tasty manner in January 1885 and opened a restaurant. William Stelle removed his ice cream parlor in February 1885.
Henry M. Ward was born in Hardyston Township on August 31, 1836, a son of Sheriff Jesse Ward. He and his father came to Newton in 1857, taking possession of the Anderson House, which was renamed the Ward House. Four years later, they took possession of the Durling House, operating that hotel for one year.
Because of ill health, Henry Ward retired in March 1904, selling the old Woodruff building to William Loftus. Henry M. Ward died on February 2, 1905, aged 68 years. John Schlee purchased the William Loftus property at public sale on November 18, 1904. In March 1905, Isaac B. Wolfe, carpenter and architect, drew plans for remodeling John Schlees house, adjoining the Court House. According to published reports, the front will be changed in appearance by a plate glass window about nine feet wide, with bent glass sides. The present store door will be changed to one of quartered oak, and a balcony will be constructed at the front and side the latter covering a stairway to the parlor on the second floor. The portion of the building behind the storeroom will be entirely changed and fitted with modern conveniences, which will tend to make it a very desirable home. The work was completed in June 1905.
Prohibition went into effect on January 16, 1920 and the Newton Womens Christian Temperance League held a service marking the decease of John Barleycorn. On March 1, 1920, Ellsworth McCluskey purchased the Schlee property on High Street from Annie E. Schlee. In February 1925, Ora S. McCluskey had a Sign and Outdoor Advertising Shop at 9 High Street.
Ellsworth McCluskey died April 15, 1927, aged 59 years. On September 1, 1927, the Service Appliance Company, with L. W. Reeves as manager, leased the storeroom in the McCluskey Building. In May 1930, Kays Radio Service was located at 9 High Street. On August 27, 1930, Dots Beauty Shoppe opened here with Miss Mary Hawkins, attendant. On August 8, 1933, the Newton Town Committee granted a license for selling beer at the McCluskey Building, 9 High Street, to Emmet Hendershot.
Leo E. McCluskey and his wife, Hortense, sold the building to Foster Roger Pierson III and his wife, Jean, on July 9, 1973. Piersons Tavern opened here. On June 10, 1976, Foster Roger Pierson III and his wife, Jean, sold to Lawrence Pierson of Andover. On October 29, 1979, Lawrence Pierson sold the tavern back to Fred Roger and Jean Pierson. There were also three apartments listed here. On August 13, 1984, the Piersons conveyed the building to James H. Brown and his wife, Dorla, of Cranford, New Jersey. On November 25, 1985, James H. Brown and his wife, Dorla, of Belvidere, New Jersey, sold the same to Ralph Guerriero and his wife, Karen, of Columbia, New Jersey. On March 11, 1988, Ralph and Karen Guerriero of Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, sold the property to Joseph A. Montalbano, John T. Montalbano and Anthony Montalbano of Andover, New Jersey. The bar furnishings were then removed and a delicatessen and lunch service opened.
Charles Roe Building, 11 High Street
The Roe Building occupies the site of the old Pemberton Dwelling House. The history of this lot can be traced back to a deed whereby John Cleve Symmes conveyed the property, then containing 33-1/16 perches, to his daughter, Anna Symmes, on August 25, 1794. Anna Symmes, who moved to Ohio, married William Henry Harrison, later President of the United States. William Henry Harrison and his wife, Anna, sold this tract to John Holmes on October 12, 1802. Holmes enlarged the property by purchasing an adjacent lot of one-quarter acre from James V. Anderson. These two lots were conveyed by John Holmes to Charles Pemberton on December 24, 1807. By his last will and testament, probated August 2, 1817, Charles Pemberton devised the property to his wife, Sarah. Sarah Pemberton resided there until her death, after which John Rorbach occupied the premises. On March 31, 1854, John Rorbach, executor of the last will and testament of widow Sarah Pemberton conveyed .25 acre (including the old Pemberton House) to William Drake.
On July 19, 1880, James L. Decker, Sheriff, conveyed William Drakes house and lot on High Street to Charles J. Roe. In the first week of March 1881, work began on the building that Charles Roe planned to erect on the site of the Drake House destroyed by fire a few months earlier. By May 11, 1881, bricklayers were erecting the walls for Charles Roes new brick building on the Drake property. In August 1881, Charles C. Hoff, of Lambertville, leased the new store room of Charles Roe, two doors above the Court House, and opened a fancy and millinery goods business. In December 1883, the Roe building was occupied by four or five lawyers ... besides the millinery store of E. & H. Rorbach.
Charles Roe sold his brick building and lot at 11 High Street to Anna C. Strader, wife of Clarence Strader, on March 1, 1886. She immediately opened a new millinery store, in the new brick building above the Court House, offering the new Spring styles. Annie Strader and her husband, Clarence L. Strader, conveyed the property to Margaret Cortelyou on December 20, 1892. She devised the property in her last will and testament to Sarah E. Dalrymple. On March 1, 1905, Henry P. Taylor, of Sayreville, formed a partnership with Frazier W. Jager and opened for trade in Mr. Jagers office at 11 High Street. Daniel Fisher, executor of Mrs. Cortelyous estate, conveyed the property to Sarah C. Harris, wife of George Nelden Harris, on November 1, 1911.
George Nelden Harris was born April 26, 1855, in Hardwick Township, a son of Charles and Mary (Anderson) Harris. He worked on his fathers farm until 1875, when he was employed as a clerk in a general store. On February 14, 1878, he married Sarah C. Keene at Harmony, Stillwater Township. Their children were: (1) Lulu, who died at forty-one years of aged, married Williard A. Yetter, having one son, Walter; (2) Grace B., married William J. Morris, assistant postmaster of Newton, and they had one son, Gerald; (3) Bessie M., who married Fred E. Caldwell of Springfield, Massachusetts. In 1899, he began a carting and trucking business. He was became County Sheriff in November 1908. Sheriff George N. Harris and his son-in-law, William J. Morris, employed at the Newton Post Office, purchased the insurance business of Nathan S. Shafer in November 1910. George Harris was postmaster of Newton from 1914 to 1924. He also served as Town Clerk, Town Committeeman and Freeholder. His wife, Sarah (Keene) Harris, died on June 12, 1915. On March 3, 1917, George Harris married Ada A. Thompson at Newton.
In April 1918, a temporary Army recruitment center was opened in the insurance office of Harris & Morris at 11 High Street.
Snook & Hardin, civil engineers, occupied new quarters in the building of George N. Harris on High Street, in February 1926. To accommodate the firm, a wood-glass partition, extending part way to the ceiling, was installed to separate the drafting room in the rear from the business office. In 1926, contractor Reuben W. Lambert was hired to build a two-story addition, 11' by 18', to the building in order to provide extra floor space for engineers Snook & Hardin. In July 1930, Stanley H. Wolcott, successor to G. Greer Young as licensing agent for the Motor Vehicle Commission, leased the former office of Snook & Hardin and started issuing new automobile licenses.
George Nelden Harris died May 13, 1937. The property was devised to his three children: Lulu Harris Yetter, Bessie M. Harris Caldwell and Grace B. Harris Morris. Lulu Yetter died, intestate, and her share was inherited by her only child, Walter W. Yetter. Bessie M. Caldwell died May 15, 1949, devising her interest in the property to Grace B. Morris and Walter W. Yetter. On May 4, 1955, Grace B. Morris and her husband, William J. Morris, Walter W. Yetter and his wife, Marie, and Williard Yetter conveyed the property to the Newton Building & Loan Association. The Newton Savings & Loan Association (formerly known as the Newton Building & Loan Association) deeded the building to John Kamp and his wife, Mary, on April 2, 1973. John Kamp died February 14, 1978. Mary Kamp, widow, conveyed the property to Betty J. Nichols on March 17, 1980. On June 7, 1983, Betty Nichols and her husband, Gordon, sold the brick storehouse to Richard L. Eckhardt and his wife, Barbara, of Denville, New Jersey.
Drake-Roe Office Building, 17 High Street
This outstanding Greek Revival office building was erected (originally one story in height) by William Drake about 1865. It was raised to two stories about 1925.
On August 15, 1873, William Drake and his wife, Elizabeth, sold the lot in front of his house on High Street, including an office now standing on the lot herein conveyed, to Charles J. Roe for $1,300. On September 11, 1873, the Herald noted that Charles J. Roe had renovated and refitted his building, recently purchased of William Drake near the Court House. The front room was occupied by Hiram C. Clark as an insurance office while Mr. Roe occupied the rest as his law office. This building does not appear on an 1860 map of Newton, but was standing on the lot purchased by Charles Roe in August 1873.
In November 1891, Charles Roe planned an enlargement of his law office on High Street, and therefore, Squire Woodruff moved his law office to the Divers building. Ex-Surrogate Charles Roe died in July 1892, aged 81 years. On March 29, 1895, Charles J. Roe, Jr. and his wife, Margaret, sold the premises to Lewis J. Martin for $1,800.
In January 1923, attorney Allen R. Shay had his office at 17 High Street. In August 1925, Realtors Lewis J. Martin & Stephen M. Case advertised their office at this address. Stephen Case was president of the Sussex County Real Estate Board in 1916 and 1927. When Stephen Case retired, Abram P. Stickles acquired his interest in the Newton Realty Insurance Agency. On June 1, 1926, Mr. Van Sickle, in partnership with Surrogate Sayer S. Martin, opened for business in their established location at 17 High Street. On March 18, 1929, Scott M. Martin, Sayer S. Martin and his wife, Vera, sold the property to Irene (Roe) Case, wife of Stephen M. Case, of Lafayette Township. On May 22, 1930, Stephen Case advertised antiques and household goods for private sale at 17 High Street.
On November 1, 1965, Irene Case, widow, sold the premises to William and Florence Linden. The Lindens sold the premises to Emanuel Honig, Donald Kovach and Donald Concilio on September 27, 1969. Emanuel Honig, Donald Kovach and Donald Concilio, partners trading as Man Don Realty Company, sold the property (925.72 square feet) to Michael A. Catalano and his wife, Linda, on October 18, 1978.
The Herald Building, 19-25 High Street
The Herald Building occupies the site of the old Rorbach Dwelling and Storehouse. On April 15, 1814, Elias Carter and his wife, Electra, sold a .45-acre lot to Samuel Rorbach. On July 1, 1816, John Rorbach, of New York, opened a store, three doors above the Court House. In October 1816, Samuel Carman opened a shoe store in a new building, four doors south of the Court House, between the stores of Samuel Johnson and John Rorbach. On October 31, 1857, Samuel and Margaret Rorbach conveyed the same property to Charles P. Rorbach for $2,500.
Jonas Divers, of Middletown, New York, a piano salesman, acquired the Rorbach Storehouse at Sheriffs sale on April 4, 1876. He sold to Maggie A. Corteylou in 1892. Mrs. Corteylou conveyed a half-interest in the property to Daniel L. Fisher on April 10, 1902, and the remaining half-interest to Daniel Fisher on March 31, 1905. Dan Fisher and his wife, Clara, deeded the property to the New Jersey Herald on April 1, 1925. Henry T. Stephens of Paterson, former president of the New Jersey Architects Society, visited Newton in February 1925 to begin planning the design for a new printing plant and office for the New Jersey Herald. Russel Counterman demolished the old Rorbach Storehouse in early April 1925. William I. Houghton received the construction contract for the proposed Herald Building on July 1, 1925. In October 1925, contractor Houghton had between 10 and 20 mechanics putting on finishing touches, while Ivan Wright and Joseph Straulina installed the plumbing.
The architect described his design as Colonial or Georgian in character. It was built one story (about 25') in height of brick, on a stone and concrete base. The frontage on High Street is 47'. The original facade consisted of four, large plate-glass windows in square-headed openings sitting in light, round- headed recesses. Three of these large windows provided pedestrian view of linotype machines and job presses in operation. The building was illuminated by sixteen steel-frame windows on rear and sides. Originally L-shaped, the building extended 63' in depth along the driveway to south. The Printing Department (61' by 26') occupied the left side of the first floor; a business office (12' by 18'), private editors office (18' by 10'), and lavatory occupied the right side of main floor. The building had plastered walls and metal ceilings (twelve-foot in height). A large cylinder press was placed on a reinforced concrete foundation at the northwest of the structure. The basement included the boiler room, coal room and storage cellar for paper stock. The first issue of the New Jersey Herald published at its new home was dated November 5, 1925.
Contractor William I. Houghton built an enlargement of the Herald Building in November 1944, increasing the floor space for the composing and press room. The additional space was needed for a new press capable of printing eight pages at a time, doubling the capacity of the forty-year-old press then in use. The new press printed from rolls and could print and fold in one operation.
The upper story and low hipped roof were added in 1964 to increase capacity of the newspaper plant.
McCarter Stone Storehouse, 27-31 High Street
The extant stone storehouse at this location was erected in 1848 by merchant Robert H. McCarter on the site of the old storehouse of Charles Pemberton. The McCarter Stone Storehouse has undergone several modifications over the years.
On May 20, 1813, Samuel Johnson opened a general store in the building lately occupied by Charles Pemberton & Company, opposite the Mr. Basset's County Hotel, and fronting the Green. Samuel Johnson discontinued business in February 1817. On May 16, 1817, postmaster Charles Pemberton took George H. McCarter as his business partner. When Pemberton died on December 18, 1817, George H. McCarter succeeded him as postmaster. George McCarter married Hannah Rorbach on April 30, 1818. On 17 October 1818, John Rorbach and Sarah (Rorbach) Pemberton sold a lot fronting on the main [High] street leading from the Court House to Easton, and nearly opposite the County Hotel, to George McCarter; it being the lot on which the Storehouse is erected now in the occupancy of Sarah Pemberton and George H. McCarter. George H. McCarter announced his intention to close his business on January 1, 1820. On September 4, 1820, George McCarter dissolved his partnership with Sarah Pemberton.
On September 2, 1825, George McCarter removed his store and the post office to a small brick storehouse, owned by Colonel Grant Fitch, which formerly stood at the south corner of the Green. On December 21, 1825, George McCarter returned to his old stand, where the storehouse had been altered and enlarged. On March 1, 1837, Daniel Stuart McCarter joined the firm of George H. McCarter & Bros. George McCarters first wife, Hannah M. Rorbach, died March 5, 1839, aged 45 years. On July 1, 1841, William H. Johnson succeeded George McCarter as postmaster when the Whigs won the Presidency. George McCarter regained the postmastership when, after the untimely death of President Harrison, he was appointed by President Tyler on March 1, 1843. On November 1, 1843, Mr. McCarter resigned the postmastership and was succeeded by Edward C. Moore. Former Sheriff George H. McCarter died on November 13, 1843, aged 47 years. His second wife, Martha Linn Ludlow, died July 10, 1844, aged 38 years.
Robert H. McCarter & Son temporarily occupied the Brick Corner building, opposite the Cochran House, while their new stone storehouse was being built on High Street. W. L. Basset & Co. opened an auction house at the Brick Corner, formerly occupied by McCarter & Son, on January 15, 1849, indicating that the McCarter Stone Storehouse was completed by that date. On January 3, 1849, the firm of R. H. McCarter & Son announced the dissolution of their partnership by mutual consent, to take effect February 1, 1849. Robert H. McCarter and John McCarter, Jr., the principals of the old firm, organized a new partnership (under the style of John McCarter & Company) to operate the New Cash Store ... at their new store in Newton, opposite to the County Hotel. In August 1849, Longman, the artist, who had rooms over John McCarter & Companys store, announced his intention to return to New York. In October 1849, Ryerson & McCarter located their law office in the McCarter Storehouse. John McCarter, Jr., purchased the stock of the late firm of John McCarter & Son in March 1851.
Thomas N. McCarter, executor of Robert H. McCarters estate, conveyed the property to John McCarter, Jr. on April 1, 1854. John McCarter and Harris McCarter formed a partnership in a lumber yard at Newton in August 1853. On July 24, 1854, McCarters stone storehouse narrowly escaped destruction by fire originating with a lighted candle in the hands of a boy who was drawing liquor in the cellar. On July 4, 1856, John and Daniel Stuart McCarter advertised as lumber dealers. On April 1, 1857, Francis Graey moved his harness shop to rooms over the post office and John Woods store. On the same date, John Wood took Alexander McDaniel as a partner. On December 12, 1857, M. Goldsmith opened a clothing store next to the post office, in the storeroom formerly occupied by John H. Wood. The rear portion of the storehouse was described as a granary in February 1858. John H. Nelden & John McCarter, Jr., re-opened for the grocery and liquor business here in May 1858. On March 1, 1859, Nelden & McCarter removed their store and the post office from the McCarter Storehouse to the Pettit Brittin building on Park Place.
John McCarter sold the stone storehouse (on .05 acre) to merchant Jacob L. Swayze on September 24, 1858. On June 1, 1859, Jacob Swayze opened a groceries and dry goods business in the McCarter Storehouse. In the Presidential campaign of 1860, Jacob L. Swayze conducted a speaking campaign for Abraham Lincoln and other Republican candidates. Jacob L. Swayze organized the Republican Party of Sussex County in his High Street store and his office was party headquarters during the Civil War. With a Republican in the White House, Oakley B. Pellet was appointed Newton s postmaster on June 10, 1861. When he assumed his office on July 1, 1861, he removed it to Jacob L. Swayzes storehouse. On October 20, 1864, the postal department established a carrier system for free delivery in Newton and Marshall McDaniels was appointed carrier. On November 18, 1864, Postmaster Pellet began free delivery of letters, having placed letter boxes around town and allowing stamps to be sold in Woodwards and Goodales drugstores. President Andrew Johnson appointed Oakley B. Pellet postmaster on September 1, 1865. He had held the same office for the past four years under the Postmaster Generals appointment but the large increase in postal business under his management brought the Newton postmastership within the Presidential class.
The first National bank in Sussex County, styled the Merchants National Bank, was organized at Newton on January 10, 1865. Jacob Swayze, cashier, announced that the new bank would commence business on April 15th in the Swayze Storehouse. The store room was partitioned with the Banking Room on the side next the Court House, and the Post Office rearranged to suit the change in circumstances. The remains of Mr. Swayzes stock of goods were moved into the Post Office apartment. The Merchants National Bank opened on June 1, 1865 and remained at this location until its bank house was built next to the Cochran House in April 1867. On December 1, 1866, Henry C. Kelsey took possession of the Newton Post Office by going to Washington and getting his documents from President Andrew Johnson before Congress met, or otherwise he would have been barred. The Job Office and Printing Plant of the Sussex Register located on the second floor of the stone storehouse in 1867.
In April 1875, Joseph Coult purchased the James L. Smith Store house at 27-31 High Street, which Demarest & Clark, furniture dealers, had recently occupied. In April 1877, Joseph Anderson located his grocery and provision business at the McCarter stone storehouse and remained at this location until 1890. J. Seward Willis acquired the building at Sheriffs Sale on July 15, 1878.
When the Sussex Telephone Company was organized on July 29, 1897, it opened an office here that the company maintained until its removal to the Park Block on March 25, 1898. The old McCarter Storehouse, which Obediah Westbrook occupied as a furniture store, was extensively repaired in May 1902. New plate glass windows and new pillars were added, and a general change in the front was made. A two-story porch, with a plate-glass storefront, one bay wide in the north bay at street level, was built at this time. On April 1, 1910, Thomas Smith leased the entire building, formerly occupied by Westbrooks furniture store. The store room connected with the same was to be rented as an auction room. In May 1910, Joseph Straulina opened a shop for Tinning, Steam and Hot Water Heating at 27 High Street. Mary L. Willis, of Stanhope, sold the stone storehouse, then occupied by Thomas Smith, to Mrs. Thomas Smith for $5,000 in June 1911.
In 1922, Newton Motor Corporation was located at 27-19 High Street. The High Street Garage, formerly the Broadway Garage, operated at 27 High Street under the proprietorship of George W. Wilson in July 1925. Kochka Brothers, Inc., one of New Jerseys largest distributors of Studebaker, began extensive alterations on the Smith Building in September 1926 that included installation of large plate-glass windows for displaying automobiles. Their new service and sales center opened September 20, 1926. In January 1930, the Newton Sales and Service for Studebaker was still located at 27 High Street. The two-story porch was therefore removed in 1926.
On March 29, 1945, newspaper advertisements announced the opening of Sherreds Court Square Garage at 27 High Street. The first floor was later occupied by the Newton Savings & Loan until its purchase by the County of Sussex. The interior was removed and the building converted to the use of the Family Court. The Colonial Revival extension to facade replaced the plate-glass storefront in 1986.
Francis Graey Building, 35 High Street
On February 13, 1858, John McCarter, Jr. and his wife, Catherine, deeded 1.27 acres on the northwest side of High Street, next to McCarters stone storehouse, to Andrew J. Rogers, of Lafayette, for $5,000. On November 11, 1858, Andrew J. Rogers deeded a portion of this tract, 18 wide and 35'-4 deep, bordering the southwest end of McCarters stone storehouse, to Francis Graey for $1,300. The deed included an understanding that Graey and his heirs or assigns are not to build on said land so as to interfere with the well. Another provision stated that Graey or his assigns shall not build any house or other building in the rear of the lot hereby conveyed within 8' of the rear line of the tract, but it was expressly understood that the purchaser have a right to build upon the land hereby conveyed or to the house to be built thereon. Graey could even build whether it obstruct windows or light or not...
Francis Grzeszkirwicz (Graey) was born in Poland and learned the trade of harness making. In 1850, he immigrated to the United States. In 1855, he moved from White Hall, Sussex County, to Newton. Depending upon the season, Mr. Graey employed between three to six men, producing single and double harness. For the most part, his trade came from within a radius of fifteen to twenty miles. His shop was stocked with harness hanging from the walls or boxed for Spring demand, whips, robes, blankets, saddlery and other horse furnishings. He also did upholstering and carriage trimming.
M. Goldsmith removed his clothing store to Francis Graeys building in March 1859. On January 1, 1860, Harry Lindenbaum succeeded M. F. Goldsmith in the clothing business on High Street. Condit M. Predmore purchased the clothing business conducted by Harry Lindenbaum in February 1862. On April 28, 1866, Charles R. Nelden and R. Johnson Shaw formed a partnership and opened a drug store, one door south of the post office, formerly occupied by Oliver D. Reeve. In 1867, Wallace Myers located his clothing business in this store room.
In February 1873, Francis Graey removed his harness shop from the building next to the Register and located in the brick storehouse, corner of Spring and Moran Streets, above Woodruffs Hardware Store. On April 1, 1874, Frank F. Haffner moved to the Francis Graey house on High Street.
On December 27, 1877, Francis Graey purchased his premises at Sheriffs Sale. On April 1, 1878, Robert T. Johnson moved his law office to the rooms formerly occupied by Daniel S. Anderson, over Charles M. Woodruffs law office in the Graey building. At the same time, George R. Leport opened a restaurant in the room under Charles Woodruffs law office. On December 26, 1878, Francis Graey and his wife, Mary Ann, conveyed the premises at 35 High Street to Martin Rosenkrans for $1,825. Charles M. Woodruff and Robert T. Johnson then had law offices there.
On April 1, 1879, Martin Rosenkrans moved his law office to this address, taking rooms formerly occupied by Charles M. Woodruff. In December 1883, four or five lawyers had offices in the Rosenkrans building. Martin Rosenkrans office was still located here in 1897. In February 1890, Andrew H. Konkle removed his office from the Samuel Johnson storehouse to a vacant office in the Martin Rosenkrans building. Martin Rosenkrans, Newtons oldest lawyer, died at the home of his son, Addison, in Paterson on April 26, 1918.
Judson K. Gunn, Sheriff, sold the premises to Arthur J. Martin on September 18, 1906. Lucy T. Johnson, heiress of Robert T. Johnson, and William J. Johnson, her husband, sold the property to George R. Vaughan on September 29, 1921. Mrs. Robert T. Johnson released her right of dower to George R. Vaughan on September 29, 1921. George R. Vaughan and his wife, Cora, conveyed the premises to Surrogate Sayer S. Martin on January 31, 1925. On March 31, 1925, Sayer S. Martin and his wife, Vera, sold 35 High Street to Whitfield Gray.
On May 15, 1961, Gerald Gray and his wife, Mary E., widow Frances I. Gray, Betty Jane Gray Phillips and her husband, Robert K. Phillips, and John S. Gray and his wife, Lillian, deeded the premises to John S. Gray and his wife, Lillian, then residing at 35 High Street. On January 5, 1962, John S. Gray and his wife, Lillian, sold the property to Donald J. Concilio and his wife, Joan. On April 22, 1968, Joan H. Concilio deeded her right of dower to Donald J. Concilio. Lawyer Donald Concilio died June 1, 1987. The premises were then sold by the Newton Trust Company, acting as trustee and executor of hiss estate, to Satish N. and Parimal Bhayani.
Sussex Register Building-Court Square Theatre, 39 High Street
Contractor William I. Houghton commenced construction of a new plant for the Sussex Register on the site of the old VanBlarcom House in May 1929. Paterson architect Henry T. Stephens designed a one-story building with Colonial facade to match the new (1929) Halls of Records and Sussex Court House (1848). The Flemish Bond brickwork of the facade is highlighted by four Ionic pilasters and other trim (such as splayed lintels with keystones surmounted by wall panels) of Indiana limestone. To emphasize the Colonial design, Stephens used large windows with small panes (12/12) and tall, double doors. The main floor housed a workroom, general office, editorial sanctum and reporters room. The basement housed a new Goss Rotary Press (the first of its kind in Sussex County), a storage vault for the old files of the Register, a stock room for paper, and a furnace room. Construction by William I. Houghton, Inc. of Newton commenced in May 1929.
In the last week of February 1939, work began on remodeling the building at 39-41 High Street, formerly occupied by the Sussex Register, as a movie theater. Workmen built a foundation in the rear of the building for a 60-foot addition. The new movie theater, seating 500, cost between $35,000 and $40,000 to build and furnish, was named the Court Square Theatre. J. D. Weidenhafer, Washington Borough Clerk, was its first operator and manager . The front of the building remained substantially the same as when the Register occupied it, except for the addition of a marquee with 400 light bulbs of several colors, extending over the new entrance. The Court Square Theatre opened on May 27, 1939. The County of Sussex purchased the theater in February 1961 and converted it to a County Administration Building. The building was gutted and refurbished as the Sheriffs Department in 1988.